Individual therapy sets out to understand the specific psychological difficulties that an individual is experiencing and to implement appropriate solutions in order to alleviate the difficulty. This process incorporates the description of interactional patterns that may be ineffective, resulting in psychological pain and turmoil being experienced by the individual. Individual psychotherapy allows for the acknowledgement of the individuals uniqueness and facilitates the process to discover inherent qualities which may enhance their ability in overcoming the identified challenges.
People often consider therapy, under the following circumstances:
I provide psychotherapeutic service to individuals, couples and families as listed below:
|Trauma and stress reactions||Phobias||Anger management||Hypnosis|
|Relationship difficulties||PTSD||Substance abuse||Stress management|
|Relaxation training||Marital difficulties||Grief||Life transitions|
|Personal growth||Crisis intervention||Sexual difficulties||Chronic Stress and Stress Profile|
|Depressive Disorders||Anxiety Disorders||Personality Disorders||Adjustment to medical condition eg.
Cardio Vascular, Diabetes, Arthritis etc
Couples therapy/ Counselling/ Marriage therapy is a generic term used to describe a range of psychotherapeutic approaches and techniques aimed at resolving difficulties experienced in a relationship. The therapeutic environment provides a safe and non-judgemental context in which to explore the patterns, habits, coping mechanisms and ineffective behavioural patterns that may contribute to relationship difficulties.
The benefits of couples counselling are:
• Whilst working with the therapist, the partners acquire skills that will assist in establishing open communication, enable problem-solving as a team and optimally lead to the resolution of differences in a rational manner.
• This form of therapy, depending on the context, may be very useful when dealing with crisis situations or life transitions. These include chronic medical conditions that necessitate adjustment such as Cardio Vascular, Diabetes and Spinal Cord Injuries.
This application of psychotherapy is often short term and typically includes both partners. The specific treatment plan depends on the situation and in some instances it is necessary to work with the partners individually, before combined sessions may commence. In some cases, couples discover that their differences truly are irreconcilable and it may then be prudent to explore the options that are available.
Families are complex systems consisting of much more than a collection of individuals sharing a physical space. Family systems also form part of the broader community system, which in turn, forms the larger society.
Family members do not live in isolation, instead they function in an interdependent manner to satisfy not only needs regarding practical aspects such as money, food and shelter – but also for needs regarding companionship, affection and socialisation to name a few. In such a system, individuals bond with each other through powerful, durable patterns of interactions that over time become the rules of the family.
• Through the therapeutic process the family acquire skills that will assist in open communication, effective problem-solving as a team and enhance their abilities to resolve differences in a rational manner.
• This form of therapy may be effective when dealing with challenges such as the family adjustment to diagnosis of chronic medical conditions, traumatic events, loss and change in the family structure.
Psychological assessment refers to a process incorporating various scientifically valid and reliable techniques to measure specific aspects of human functioning. These techniques include clinical interviews, collection of collateral information and use of standardise d measures and/ or projective assessment techniques. Assessment is always done with the aim of providing relevant clinical information regarding the reason for referral.
• Assessments may provide valuable information regarding psychiatric diagnosis, psychotherapy, determining current intellectual and/or neuropsychological functioning or personality patterns that may contribute or interfere with adjustment to life circumstances.
In some instances, the impact of above-mentioned process may interfere with healthy adjustment since the patient does not acquire health related behaviours to mitigate the impact of chronic illness.
The field of psychology sets out to assist individuals or groups to adjust behaviour towards quality of life.
Medical aid will be accepted with prior arrangement as per booking page.
• Rates are set at R1000.00 (51-61 min session). Only card payments are excepted at this practice.